Choosing a pie to make for National Pi Day is proving to be relatively easy with this Maple Syrup Paleo Pie & Coconut Whipped Cream recipe!
Pies take a bit more work to make than some other desserts. However, there is something truly magical about the moment you serve a slice of fresh-baked pie with a side of whipped cream to someone you love, and they take their fork and take a bite of pie with a little whipped cream; and they say, "WOW! This is the best pie I have ever had!" These are the moments I live for!
This dessert has three steps, making the crust, the filling, and the coconut whipped cream. It's a nut-free, seed-free paleo dessert made with cassava/yucca flour for the crust and the filling made with eggs and maple syrup. I encourage you to read ALL the directions very carefully before you buy your ingredients as there are a lot of steps, and it is essential to know what they are before you begin in the kitchen.
Even if you've never made a pie before, I recommend giving it a first-time whirl with this recipe because the final product is too good not to and will be incredibly memorable for whoever you serve it to!
Download each of the recipe cards below to keep on hand so you can make this delicious pie and the whipped cream topping!
Maple Syrup Paleo Pie Recipe
A delicious way to celebrate any occasion!
Yucca Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 2 1/4 cups Otto's Cassava Flour
- 2 tablespoons of Grade A maple syrup
- 3/4 cup of cold unsalted butter, OR soy free Earth Balance
- 1 egg OR 1 flax egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of pink sea salt
- 8 tablespoons of ice water (put the water in the freezer for ~10 minutes before using)
Pie Crust Instructions:
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Take out a nine-inch pie crust dish and set it aside.
- In a bowl, mix the pink sea salt, flour, and butter OR Earth Balance until combined.
- Place the maple syrup and the egg OR flax egg in a separate small mixing bowl, whisk together, then add to the bowl with flour.
- Add the ice water to the mixture and use your hand to work the dough into a round ball.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Loosely roll the dough with a rolling pin into a 12-inch circle on a yucca-floured counter, or roll the dough on parchment paper. The dough should be about 1/4 inch thick.
- Gently mold the dough into a nine-inch pie plate and crimp dough evenly around the edge.
- Bake the pie crust for 20 minutes. Remove and set aside.
IMPORTANT NOTE: At this point, the pie crust is only half cooked. After adding the filling, you will cook the pie crust again, this time with the filling inside!
Maple Syrup Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 1 3/4 cup Grade A maple syrup
- 2/3 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pink sea salt
- 5 tablespoons of unsalted butter OR soy free Earth Balance
- 2 tablespoons of arrowroot starch
- 3 large eggs & 2 large yolks OR 5 flax eggs
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
Maple Syrup Filling Instructions:
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Bring maple syrup, coconut milk, and sea salt to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the butter OR Earth Balance and whisk it with maple syrup, coconut milk, and sea salt until melted.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and whisk in the arrowroot starch.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for one additional minute, whisking frequently.
- Transfer to a large bowl and let it cool for 30 minutes. THIS STEP IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST!
- Whisk in the eggs & yolks OR flax eggs and apple cider vinegar until smooth.
- Place cooled crust in the pie dish on a baking sheet and pour the filling into the crust.
- Bake the filling between 35-45 minutes.
- Let the pie cool completely on the wire rack for about two hours.
- Transfer cooled pie to the fridge and let it chill until fully set (another two hours or up to 24 hours).
- Serve cold or at room temperature & top with coconut whipped cream.
MaryRuth and MaryRuth’s® are not affiliated with this product; this is not an ad.
Coconut Whipped Cream Recipe
Top off any pie or other dessert with this tasty non-dairy whipped cream!
Coconut Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- 2 cans of 13.5 ounce full fat coconut milk, left in fridge overnight
- 2 cups of palm shortening
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon of pink sea salt
- Place the whisk attachment on your hand or stand mixer.
- Open the chilled coconut cans and take only the TOP layers of the coconut milk off the can leaving all the coconut water in the bottom of the can.
- Beat the coconut cream on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of palm shortening and beat on high speed for another 5 minutes until airy soft peaks arise.
- Add vanilla extract, maple syrup, and pink sea salt to the mixture and beat on high for one more minute until well combined.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes before serving chilled.
ENJOY WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY!
I hope you enjoy and please feel free to share and tag us on Instagram at @maryruthorganics if you make this recipe. And click here if you’d like to try some of my other recipes.