Vegan Pesto Grilled Vegetable Salad
MaryRuth has long been a fan of Teri Turner’s delicious recipes on her blog, Nocrumbsleft. And we’re so excited to share a new recipe from Teri that she especially knew the MaryRuth’s Community would enjoy!
This vegan pesto grilled vegetable salad recipe takes the heat out of your kitchen while delivering tons of flavor. It would be wonderful with roasted tofu on the side as well, so feel free to make this recipe your own with any additions you’d enjoy.
We’ve created recipe cards you can download and keep on hand for this tasty salad and the pesto used in the dressing as well as the flavorful marinated red onions. We also recommend checking out Teri’s blog deep-diving this recipe for tips on how to make this salad taste as best as possible!
Vegan Pesto Grilled Vegetable Salad Recipe
A great summer salad to enjoy with loved ones!
By Teri Turner
As seen on Nocrumbsleft
- 1 pound zucchini
- ½ pound of asparagus, whole
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsps salt, divided
- 1 lb small white potatoes
- Marinated Red Onions and oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup pistachio pesto
- ¼ cup fresh basil, ribbon cut
- Scant ¼ cup thinly cut chives
- Lemon wedges, optional
- Parboil & partially cook potatoes. Drain & set aside.
- Turn the grill on to 450°F and preheat the grill pan for 5 minutes.
- Wash and dry the zucchini, then cut into ½ inch rounds.
- Put the asparagus, zucchini, and bell peppers in a large bowl, keeping the vegetables separate. Drizzle them with the olive oil, season with one tsp salt, and gently toss each group of vegetables. Preserve the leftover oil in the mixing bowl for a later step.
- Grill the vegetables one by one on the grill pan, starting with zucchini for 5 minutes on one side, then flip the slices and cook until cooked through and tender, about 2 more minutes. Set aside on a sheet tray.
- Next, put the peppers on the grill pan and grill until charred and softened, for about 20 minutes, flipping the peppers every 5 minutes. Once cooked through, set aside on the sheet tray.
- Place the asparagus on the grill pan until crisp-tender, for 4 to 5 minutes, tossing once halfway. Set aside on the sheet tray.
- In the mixing bowl used earlier, toss the pre-cooked potatoes in the remaining oil and salt. Place on the grill pan and cook until browned, for 7 to 10 minutes, and flipping halfway through.
Make the dressing: Stir the marinated onions and measure out ¼ of the red onion oil in the bowl. Mix the marinated red onion oil and red vinegar in the big bowl that was used for the potatoes.
Make the salad: Cut the slightly cooled asparagus into thirds. De-stem, peel and remove the seeds from the bell peppers as best you can and tear or cut into segments. Put the grilled vegetables, potatoes, and half of the herbs in the bowl with the dressing and toss from the bottom until it is all coated. Add the pistachio pesto in small dollops and gently mix it into the salad just before serving. Sprinkle remaining herbs over top.
- Serve and enjoy. Optionally, marinated onions, extra pistachio pesto and a squeeze of lemon are also great on top.
Please refer to separate recipe card for more details.